Saturday 18 August 2012

Barley Sugars and Acetate

Challenge #52 - BARLEY SUGAR AND ACETATE

The latest Challenge from the Lollipop Ladies is based around those sweets known as Barley Sugars. I can remember being in the car for a long trip and there always being a packet of these available in case someone got car-sick. We all got sick just to get a sweetie!  They are wrapped in see-through wrappers and so our additional challenge is to use acetate!


Guest DT spots are able to be won each fortnight
and our sponsor this fortnight is: Mad for Markers*
(thanks to Sammi).
A choice of 3 of her digi stamps.
So cool :-)

Prize will only be offered if 7 or more entries partake in the challenge.



Remember to link up your entries to be in for the chance at the prize and Guest DT spots...




Acetate is something I am frightened of - and apparently with good reason.  I don't know if I am using the correct stuff but I have read on the web about embossing onto this and so I duly stamped and sprinkled and applied the heat gun, but while the image was embossed the acetate just crinkled up and buckled. So, I sor t of fussy cut out my flowers, used copics on the back side to colour them up (I was always going to do that anyway, use the Copics) and then stuck a piece of white card behind and used a brad to secure them to the card front.


My background papers are from freebies with two different magazines - the ladies come from Cardmaking and Papercraft - Raspberry Road Designs (beautiful) and the strip from Craft Beautiful  - Sizzix Jubilee Designs. 


I have layered my DP onto some SU Chocolate card and also some out of date SU More Mustard card - I used this to make my base card also. The sentiment is stamped with Momento Ink Close to Cocoa and is from Verve - Just My Type. 

I will enter this in the following challenges:
Card Making Mamas:  Try something new (stamping on acetate)
Craft Punked: Flowers
Fussy and Fancy Friday: orange, lime and citrus
Crop Stop: Flowers, dots and bling

13 comments:

hckd said...

Ok so I've never heard of Barley Sugars.. and do they really work for car sickness.. if this is a silly question can I blame lack of sleep today? lol. I really love your card.. probably won't be partaking in the challenge but I am a subbie to your blog and wanted to comment on your creation.. wonderful job on it and very pretty! Have a nice day!

marion said...

It's gorgeous !! Husg, Marion

Merry said...

I think your flowers have turned out lovely Susan. You are gamer than me. I always read about heat embossing with acetate but never tried it. Wonderful card.

Sazzle said...

Susan your card is fab and love that you've tried using acetate as it adds a new dimension, but I've never tried heat embossing it either!

Thanks for joining us over at Fussy and Fancy for our colour challenge - good luck.

xx Happy crafting and glittery hugs xx

Sazzle

s4rah said...

I think you have to have a special type of acetate for it not to melt - never tried it though! Thanks for joining us at Craft Punked this week!

Lauren T said...

I think the flowers still look great. The only time I've tried heat embossing acetate it wrinkled up on me too.

Vicki said...

Beautiful card and flowers! I think the heat embossing gave them character. Thanks for joining our CropStop Chosen 3 Challenge.

Paula said...

Beautiful card and colour combo, lovely image and flowers! Thanks for joining Craft Punked this week, Paula :)

Shirley-Anne said...

Love the " ladies " .Pretty card design .

Katie said...

Oh, I just love your vintage ladies. Thank you for joining us at Crop Stop Challenge Blog!

Michelle Pearson said...

what a great card using the chosen 3! Thanks for playing the CropStop Challenge! :)

Ultimate Whirligig said...

Great card Susan. Love your work with the acetate...I too tried to heat embossing on acetate, and yes, I too ended up with curled and wrinkled end product. But where I threw mine out, you made your's into beautiful flowers. Well done :)
Michelle

Sara said...

This is beautiful! thanks for playing along with CMM!