Wednesday 7 August 2013

How shall I alter this?

Hilde at Crafting with Dragonflies has issued a new challenge - Number #8 can you believe it - and it is to 

ALTER SOMETHING

There are many things that crafters have altered over the years but it is often a box or a bag. It is the joy of taking something that would have been thrown out and making it into something useful that makes us do it. 

I have decided to alter a box I have been saving for a while - a Lancom perfume box - and make a more masculine version of it to hold a (male) friend's birthday present.


Not only pretty but quite strong too


It is a sleeve and a box drawer, lined in a soft gold


Quite big too


I decided to use some silver insulating tape purchased at the hardware store last month. 


I covered the sleeve - with some difficulty - and thought about doing the same to the drawer and reneged on the idea. Instead, I added some silver card to the two ends with the Lancom name, and left the rest red.


I had access to a Kenny K digi called Super Genius, so I printed it off on XPress blending card,  and coloured it up with my Copics! I fussy cut it out and mounted it onto some silver foil which had been embossed with stars, and this is in turn mounted onto some red holograph card, and stuck on the front of the box.


I called my Genius Dr Joe, and used the computer to generate a sentiment to attach. 


I found a lovely silver ball button in my Mum's button box, and glued this to the front of the drawer.



The card it used to put on to the front and the back of the drawer has this pattern along one edge - and under the flash of the camera it shows up quite lovely; the back is just a plain silver card. 

Taken outside in fading light with the flash

Taken outside in fading light without the flash!

I will enter this in the following challenges:
Paperminutes: Presents - mine is a box to hold presents; hope this is OK?
Cards for Men: while this is a card on a box, it is for a male!And it is Metallic!
Crazy Challenge: Anything Goes



10 comments:

happyglitzygirl said...

Absolutely genius, great altering going on there...love it, blessings Hilde

Ina G said...

Susan - I agree with Hilde you are a genius how you changed such a simple box into something spectacular. It is so amazing - fabulous. Love it too and I am sure your male friend will be so impressed especially using insulating tape - very clever!

~ Barb said...

I sure like the idea of the embossed silver papers, great effect and dimension that they add. And that button is perfect!
{Hugs} Barb

Svenja said...

This is a very funny box. It looks like you put a lot of work in it. Thank you for taking part in our Paperminutes challenge.

Unknown said...

Great use of duck tape really love the idea. Excellent finish on you box love it all hugs txx

Anonymous said...

Very clever. Must go shopping at the hardware store more often! No wonder when I go there are so many women. Thanks for the inspiration.

mags said...

Fabulous altered box. Great idea and super idea to use the insulating tape.
Mags
x

Ellen said...

Lovely box, well done! Thanks for joining us at The Crazy Challenge.

groetjes, Ellen

kel Acopan said...

i love love love your box/drawer!!! I absolutely love that you used the silver tape too!!

lovies, =o) kel

Patricia St Martin said...

Susan, Your image is adorable and super job with your altered box. Love your embossing folder and the drawer. Thanks so much for joining us at Cards for Men. Good luck on the challenge.
Hugs Pat

I see you are an Outlawz, I'm one also stop by Twisted Thursday sometime we have new challenges each week.