Google+ Followers

Monday, October 10, 2016

For September's Winner's Post at Unstampabelles

It's time to announce the winners over at Unstampabelles, and so I have made another attempt to work outside my comfort zone, and create something a little different. I used the assistance of a canvas creation at Craft Stamper magazine, to get going and then sort of did my own thing.


I have a lot of stencils. I don't use them very much. Last year I did a multimedia canvas at Paperific (which I gave to one of my Granddaughters) although I am not sure she likes it. I did make it with her in mind so the colours were chosen for her. I enjoyed the experience, and getting dirty, but did not repeat it when I got home, so lost the 'touch' and knowledge. Hence the use of a magazine article to get me going again. 

Before I  reveal what I made, here are some more photo's from last week's excursion to the Botanical Gardens - an outside shot and inside the Orchid house.


I love the wild flower look of this patch


These are definitely not wild flowers!

Anyway, back to my canvas


The magazine said to stamp an image onto tissue paper. As this is for Unstampabelles, I stencilled it on instead with TH Distress Sooty Black and a sponge.


It got several layers to make it really black. Then you tear carefully around the edges and use sealer to apply and then sealer again over the top. 


The same rules applied to other images, and I wanted to add birds, so I drew them and cut them out of card. The city skyline is a die. I had added Dylusions paint to my canvas - a mixture of white and blue to create a background; I glued the girl on and then stencilled on some texture paste to create one bird - too close to her head and too big I then realised - and then another smaller one on the RHS. I also masked the girl and spread texture paste for the city skyline behind her.


The article said to add lots of texture paste at the base, and to comb lines through it like grass, but I chickened out and just added a little bit and sort of drew through it with the end of a paintbrush. I also added some silver shimmer to her dress, and stencilled some dotes, words and squares sort of randomly - I don't do random very well. I used TH paints and inks to colour up the skyline, grasses, and birds but ended up scraping off the larger bird, and replacing it with three from Scrapmatts, to which I had added black ink as well. I also darkened the other bird and decided to leave it there.


It looked dull. So I added a gold 'hat' - nope!


In desperation, I tried some flowers. They worked - sort of......a bit like my Botanical flowers above in a sea of green.


It looked better anyhow. They have pink ink on them but it is hard to see on the smaller one. 


Next time I would use texture paste for the body and ink for the background perhaps, but it seems to work not too badly. 


I think that background is Paris.......


The edge is the fact that I painted around the edges and onto the sides, plus the grassy edge.

Anyhow, that was entirely outside my comfort zone.
I want to be artistic but am not really gifted that way, so just remain frustrated. 

You can go to Unstampabelles and see the lovely things DT members have made to get further inspiration and then have a go at something outside your comfort zone too! There are some nice entries already and you have to the end of the month to join them.




No comments: