Saturday 18 January 2014

Repurposing a Wine Label

I know I have waxed on about this before but have you ever looked at a wine bottle label and realised that it is a tiny piece of art? Not all of course - some good,some bad - just like the wine really.

I look for good labels and if I can I try and release them from the bottle (after the wine has been drunk, of course). Filling the bottle with really hot water works well sometimes, as does using a hairdryer - carefully.  If not, soaking sometimes works. If that is not going to happen either, chuck it - it will not come off without tearing.  If they do give way, gently ease them onto a piece of computer printer paper or some white card. I have a folder with about 30 to 40 such labels - sometimes I use them and people don't know  - they just think what lovely background paper. Sometimes I say.

I have friends who actually arrive at out house with empty wine bottles - and great, different labels. The rubbish men must think we are heavy drinkers those times!

Here is what I did with a label and the stamp set from Sparkle and Sprinkle - Chianti and some copic colouring.


A glass of red Gloria?



Perhaps a bottle? 


"Don't mind if I do", said Gloria!


Some embossing folders were involved as well, and a die cut frame from Nellie's frames. The sentiment is from the stamp set and there is another sentiment stamp as well. I will leave that for another day. 

I will enter this in the following:
Brown Sugar -Anything Goes
Daring Cardmakers - What's Your Tipple? (How appropriate was that!)
Sister Act  - Anything Goes
Southern Girls Challenge - Something New: the stamp set is new, and so is the vine embossing folder from Daris.

10 comments:

Sammy said...

What a great idea! And it works beautifully! Unfortunately I only drink about 2 or 3 glasses of wine a year, and hubby's drink of choice is beer, but I *do* have a silly amount of bottle caps and ring pulls, lol. x

Kathy said...

I love the idea of using the wine bottle labels - I'll be looking at the bottles with more interest now ;)

Thanks for joining in with The Daring Cardmakers' this week

Unknown said...

Wow, so many details. Thanks for playing at Sister Act Card Challenge.

Blossom Cards said...

what a lovely card thanks for sharing with brown sugar this week Rachel DT

Merry said...

Fantastic Susan, I really like how you use the wine labels and thanks for all the tips of removing the labels. I never would have thought to put hot water in the bottle.

Svenja said...

Such a fun card! And a very interesting wine label... Thanks for playing along with the Daring Cardmakers this week!

luvmycards.blogspot.com said...

Cute card and layout! Who would've known!! Great tips and we thank you for sharing them on Southern Girls Challenge!
Carolyn DT

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

Gorgeous card, and what a clever idea!! Thanks for joining in with the Daring Cardmakers this week x

SD pooja said...

I loved the idea to you the wine label and the card has come out so beautiful !

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. Another reason to open a bottle. TFS.