Wednesday 30 October 2013

Making Our Own Flowers

Time for another challenge at Crafting with Dragonflies and this one is to



Create your own Flower Embellishments
 Tell us how or what you did, and if you can add a link great!



You can just have the flowers or put them on something, the sky is the limit, up to you, card, scrap page, box or on their own....made from paper, fabric, gauze, leather, old books, anything....

Our Sponsor for this challenge is Emerald Fairies

The winner will receive two images


For another blog called the Lollipop Ladies, where there is a photo and a twist each fortnight, I made a flower brooch last week.  You can find out all about it here.

For Crafting with Dragonflies I decided to upcycle a balsa wood cheese box, and add the brooch as a topper. 


I painted it with white Gesso to cover up the printing - this is a lovely cheese if you see the box, a beautiful Camembert:  King Island is in Bass Strait between us and the mainland of Australia and is a beautiful place to visit, but if you cannot afford to do that, buy the cheese!


It took three coats of paint to cover it up enough to begin work on it


Like my orchard?  
I used a die cut and adhered it to the centre of the inside bottom of the box, and then added a rub-on. 


I used a piece of washi tape around the outside of the lid of the box. I also die cut another blue piece of card  from the Firefly set and fitted it to the top of the box.  I added the brooch topper and a small tag with another rub-on. 


I thought I could fill it with die cut  flowers as a gift for a friend. 



I had several flowers left over from making the brooch, and was flicking through a new magazine I saw a flower created by folding small squares of paper into cones, and using them as the petals.  So I had a go at that as well. Each petal is one 5 cm x 5 cm square.


I used Firefly DP by Prima, a die cut tag, mounted the back paper onto SU Bermuda Bay card, and then onto some pearl card folded to make a card. 


Initially I tried to work out a good way to fold the cones, and two got a centre fold before I realised that would not work! However, eventually I got it sorted but there are some odd folds in there in places. I added some dots of Liquid Pearls (gold) and I sprayed it all with a gold glitter spray - you can see it under the desk  light inside but it doesn't show in the photos taken outside so well. 


The sentiment is from the SU Happy Day set. 

Hope this gets you inspired to enter our challenge (and even to enter the one at the Lollipop Ladies too if it is still running when you read this), and make a flower embellishment.

I will enter these in the following challenges:
Crafty Sentiments Designs: Anything Goes - the box
Through the Craft Room Door: Anything Goes - the card
Artistic Stamper: Alter something - the box obviously
The Crafting Cafe: Anything Goes - the card







15 comments:

happyglitzygirl said...

Beautiful creations Susan, love that orchid, I manage to kill mine every year and every year I buy a new one....they start to quiver when I come near them...I think they know....love your flowers, blessings Hilde

~ Barb said...

I can tell it's good weather there, we are heading into Winter and our skys are grey and there is a real chill in the air. My days of outside photos are almost over :( What a terrific box, and to fill it with die cut flowers is such a good idea! Pretty great color match with your Washi tape too, what a pretty way to finish off your box edges. I sure like the colors on your creative flower fold card too.
{Hugs} Barb

Ina G said...

Susan - this is spectacular. Beautifully made. Thanks for telling and showing us how you made this alteration. Love your orchid lol WOW piece of art there.

Anonymous said...

I love that cheese!
What a great use for your flowers and repurpose your cheese box. Lovely.
Beautiful orchid too - something ate some of my flowers, but it is still living!

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful made Susan.

gr karin

Sammy said...

Absolutely gorgeous creations Susan! And I loooove that washi tape! I keep buying the stuff, though very rarely actually use any, lol.
I'm not a huge cheese fan, but I'd probably buy some just for the box! lol. x

judith@poppy cottage said...

Great projects Susan, the altered cheese box is a fab idea, and the brroch fits perfectly on top. The card is fab with the Firefly paper as a background, my favourite too, lol! Hugs, Judith xx

Wynn said...

Very pretty box Susan. I love your orchard too. It's still warm and sunny here. Great time of year but don't like the shorter days now that the clocks changed. Not got /seen washi tape but it looks pretty.
Hugs Wynn xx

Unknown said...

Stunning piece of altered art. Love the colours and ths flowers sre stunning hugs txx

Jac’s Playground said...

Your box is gorgeous and will make a wonderful gift, thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments this week. Jac x

Zuzu's Blog said...

your altered box i beautiful. i rather like the text on the lid. for a different project t would be nice to let some show...
your handmade flowers are ever so pretty too. thank you for taking part in the "artistic stamper" challenge. Z x

Dawn said...

Great project, I love the technique!
Thanks for sharing with us at The Crafting Cafe this time!
Good Luck
Hugs
Dawn xx

mags said...

This is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with us at The Crafting Cafe and good luck.
Mags
x

kel Acopan said...

susan these are both super beautiful!!

lovies, =o) kel

Unknown said...

Love this project Susan! Your flowers are gorgeous and I'm a fan of upcycling. :) Hugs