Monday 2 June 2014

Mixed Media for Unstampabelles Challenge #36


Now, that wonderful place of instant knowledge, Wikipedia, defines
Mixed Media as:

"an artwork in the making of which more than one medium has been employed.
Mixed media ... refer(s) to a work of visual art that combines various traditionally distinct visual art media. For example, a work on canvas that combines paint, ink, and collage could properly be called a "mixed media" work. 
When creating a painted or photographed work using mixed media it is important to choose the layers carefully and allow enough drying time between the layers to ensure the final work will have structural integrity. If many different media are used it is equally important to choose a sturdy foundation upon which the different layers are imposed. A phrase sometimes used in relationship to mixed media is, "Fat over lean." Many effects can be achieved by using mixed media. Found objects can be used in conjunction with traditional artist media, such as paints and graphite, to express a meaning in the everyday life. In this manner, many different elements of art become more flexible than with traditional artist media."


The challenge has been sponsored this month by Bizzy Bec, from Western Australia. 


and she is offering as a PRIZE this amazing Marianne Butterfly Die 



I was reading a new magazine I purchased from a news agency, called Creative Cardmaking (UK - Issue 65) and got this idea from them. I went to a local $2 shop ad got a mini easel on a small wooden stand.  I don't know what I am going to use the stand for now, but it has gone into the "might be useful one day' pile. In addition to this purchase I also went to the local tip shop, and got me several wooden frames - you will see what I did with those in due time!


I started by making sure the canvas was sized enough by painting it with thinned (with H2O) white Gesso paint and letting it dry. I then attached across the top a stencil from Memory Box, and gently sponged on some TH ink - Scattered Straw. This left a white pattern across the canvas, and I thought it was already looking great! I also  - while I was there  - sponged some TH - Wild Honey around the edges of the canvas - better yet! Forgot to take photo's in the excitement of the creation. 


There were circles in the pattern so I gently coloured them with three different coloured Copic pens - an orange, green and yellow. I also stencilled on the word 'love' and then decided to add colour to that as well, and again used the green Copic pen. I think I got a bit carried away then and I began to add flowers, and the pearl string and some ribbon. Then I measured where it would fit on the folded piece of SU Kraft card I was using as my card blank. 

Can you see my card here is sitting on a stand?  My hubby insisted on making this for me - one side is black and the reverse is white - to stand my cards etc on when I am photographing them outside (or inside I guess). He is a good man. 

I used rub-ons (Kaiser) on the card on diagonal corners and doodled with a pen for the sides. I glued with TomBow glue and it held nicely but my measuring is slightly out of placement or something......


Taken on an angle so you can see the side of the canvas standing up. 



I added two rub-ons onto the sides of card and then decided to add the 'Love' one to the canvas - 20 minutes later........that's as good as it got! It adds to the slightly grunge look......I decided that I needed to tie
the words more to the canvas so grabbed a pencil and added some yellow to the words and to the corner flourishes - at night, under the lamp it seemed only a small amount of colour but in daylight - boy did that pop! The bottom of the canvas looked a bit cut off so I added two more flowers, and the scrap piece of green pearls.......

So, is that mixed-media enough?  Paint, ink, alcohol-ink, rub-ons, pencils, then flowers and pearls and canvas and card.......oh, and ribbon! And yes, the 'fat' was put over the 'lean' - the embellies went over the paint, stenciling and ink.

I will enter this in the following challenges:
Altered Eclectics: I altered a canvas to fit on a card - closes 30 June
Southern Girls: I have pearls in there! - closes soon?
Rhedds Creative Spirit: Altered art - ends 30th June
The Craft Garden: orange,lemon and lime - yep,those are my colours! Closes 30th June


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work love the colours and all the elements.

Thanks for joining us at Rhedd's Creative Challenge.

Moira DT xx

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Susan that's a lovely creation. So much work in it! I think you just sneak in there with your pearl bling for our challenge. Thanks so much for joining in with our 'Sparkle & Shine' Challenge over at Southern Girls. Look forward to seeing your gorgeous work again soon. Hugs, Wends x SGC DT

Wynn said...

Susan this is stunning. I would love to be the owner of this. I'm sure it's sitting proudly in your home. Looks like you had fun creating it . Wynn xx

Anonymous said...

What a great mixed media project.
Great photographic set up too.

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

This is so cute and gorgeous - love the colour palette hun.TFS with us Altered Eclectics this month.

Unknown said...

Very interesting work, I can see a lot of thought has gone into this, thanks for sharing with us at Southern Girls Challenge

Vickie Y said...

Beautiful mixed media project. Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics June Challenge.

Lyne said...

Wonderful canvas! Thank you for joining us at Southern Girls Challenge

Lisa :) said...

Your canvas is LOVELY and the stand your husband made for you? Brilliant!! Thank you for sharing it with us at The Craft Garden! Please join us again soon!

Lisa - Craft Garden DT