Thursday 12 April 2012

Challenge #43 - Gummy Bears at Lollipop Ladies

Challenge #43 - Gummy Bears

We're changing things up at The Lollipop Ladies...
 but don't worry...
there will still be a fortnightly challenge with prizes... 


The first Challenge for April is..............


Gummy Bears

With the additional challenge of:

Fur

(not that these yummy gummy ones have any..)





Now, in addition to the prize,  Guest DT spots are able to be won each fortnight...


......and this challenge also has a gift voucher on offer:

$10 gift voucher prize* this fortnight to Annabelle Stamps 
(thanks to Andrea).


*Prize will only be awarded if more than five entries are received for the challenge

So.....................remember to 
link up your entries to be in for 
the chance at a gift voucher .............
and a Guest DT spot!

Now, my take on this Challenge involves one little bear and one candle.  I have stamped my bear onto tissue paper, and then coloured him using my trusty Copic pens.  His body is a variety of browns and E pens, and his fet pads and nose is pale pink. The eyes are blue and the flower is deep pink! You have to do this carefully and don't flood the tissue, and make sure that you don't tear it as well.  You cannot get as much shading as you do on X-Press card either but you can get enough! Carefully fussy cut  the image after colouring, and glue or fix to the candle side. I used some Blu Stick to do this. The I wrapped some baking paper tightly around the image and the candle, allowing some to be scrunched into my hand to create a 'handle' to allow me to hold the candle and thus stop my fingers being cooked by the heat gun! This handle is located directly opposite the image! 


Once I had the image in position and my fingers were protected I operated the heat gun and carefully waved it over the image, constantly moving it in circles over all the image, not staying in one spot too long.  The idea is that the wax in the candle will melt and cover over the tissue - it will be absorbed if you like, into the candle - and you will see this happening quite quickly. The image becomes sharper. Don't be tempted to apply too much heat as it will melt the candle into holes and spoil the effect. When you judge that the image is absorbed, you can unwrap the baking paper and you should see clearly that the edges of the tissue have disappeared into the wax, and the image looks as if it has been stamped directly onto the candle. 


I have also coloured the wick with one of my Copics, and tied a blue ribbon to match his eyes! This candle is now ready to be given as a gift at a baby shower, or similar! 

1 comment:

Linda L said...

I see you've been up visiting my part of Oz. Glad you enjoyed your visit Susan. Love your sweet bear candle. Cheers!