Monday 17 June 2019

Painting the Town Red


Hello Peeps!

Welcome to Tasmania and the Winter Festival 


when the town is painted red for two weeks


A pretty special photo from the lookout, on the summit of kunanyi/Mt Wellington, thanks to Jan Brylle 
When Dark Mofo red starts to reflect at the top of Mount Wellington Observatory with a lil' bit of peaking 



Today I want to share what I made for the latest challenge at 

Stained Glass Techniques using Dies 
 TWIST Use some Glitter

Random Number Draw prize:
$15 Aus at shop of your choice or through PayPal.

I decided to use a beautiful new die set from Stampin' Up called Butterfly Beauty
This set has 20 dies in it: I only used one of them but I die cut it five times.

I have a selection of fancy glitter papers built up in the stash - most of them are from Stampin' Up but there are a few others there as well...

So after picking some jewel colours for this piece of work, I die cut out four of them.
You can see in the first photograph a blue sheet and in the background some others face down.
This has left me with four other diecuts to use another time so wait to see them in future.

Then I die cut the butterfly in black card - yes, that is one big die.
I attached this to a piece of white card using Sizzix double sided sticky paper, 
which leaves the top side of the white piece sticky where the black card does not touch it.
I had to be careful not to rest my hand on this sticky bit and disturb the surface.


I carefully dis-assembled the other four die cuts by removing each internal piece I required carefully with tweezers and placing them into the corresponding space on the black butterfly.
You can see in photo 1 that I had got about half way through when i took this shot.
(Finally remembered to document the work!)


In photo 2 I have completed filling in all the spaces with a variety of glitter paper pieces

You can see a line towards the top of the white sheet that delineates the end of the sticky surface.
I covered all this surface with fine white glitter and then trimmed away the excess card.


TIP: I keep my white glitter in a take-away food container and try and contain all mess in this container if I can - doesn't always work but keeps spillage to a minimum.
That jar of fine glitter I have had for over five years.


I rubbed the glitter over carefully with my finger to remove excess and brushed off the bits collected on the card before mounting the whole onto a piece of purple card and then onto a black card.


I had diecut a sentiment in black card to match and added it with some glue as it stays better on the glitter than anything else.


A close up of the colours - poor photo, sorry about that.
See that with this die you can remove individual butterflies to make the die smaller or to suit the project.


There you are - creating a Stained Glass card with some die cuts and some glitter

Now it is your turn to create something beautiful. 

1 comment:

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

WOW!!! Awesome!!! You have had a lot of patience and accuracy with those butterflies! Such stunning paper piecing! All the glittered pieces and the background look so sparkling and magical!! Great work!!