Monday 27 April 2020

Being Creative for Unstampabelles

Hello Peeps - it is the last week of the challenge at Unstampabelles and I was moved to create a card by the simplicity of our individual Covid-19 inspired ANZAC Day commemoration.

Anzac Day, 25 April, is one of Australia’s most important national occasions. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.

What does ANZAC stand for?
ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The soldiers in those forces quickly became known as Anzacs, and the pride they took in that name endures to this day.

As a result of the Covid-19 virus we were not allowed to 
have our usual public gatherings and marches

Instead we were encouraged to gather in our driveways at 6.00 am
with a candle and use our phones to broadcast the Canberra Dawn Service and follow
the minute's silence from there.......
In our suburb we had many talented musicians who chose instead to play the Last Post themselves
In our driveway we heard three trumpeters - one of them our son-in-law - from three different spots.
There were also people playing electric guitars and  wind instruments
It made the hairs on my body stand up.


I know this photo is dark - it is my hubby and candles waiting for the show to start
My photo taking skills deserted me at that time




 I lost two Great Uncles in WW1 - one at the start at Lone Pine, Gallipoli and one at the end in Possiers (he was an ambulance man)

My Dad - named James for the one killed at Gallipoli - went to the Middle East at the beginning of the 1939-1945 conflict and after two years was returning to Australia when they were diverted to Timor and captured by the Japanese. He spend the next three years plus as a POW on the Burma Railway ending at Hell Fire Pass.

He eventually came home and raised a family but died at 69 years old of the injuries he received.
He was much loved.

Here is the the result of my creative ability 


 I started by sponging ink onto the card to create a dawn sky
and a green hill


I used a variety of die cuts to create a soldier's grave and the weeds that may grow there.....


I painted my grasses in w/c paint


Starting to build it up

I used some alphabet letters and an ANZAC fundraising badge


The  poppies are hand drawn with Copics



Mounted onto a card base


I might frame this rather than use it as a card.

I know this is not a good piece of work
but I still like it

You have a week to enter your piece at Unstampabelles. 



No comments: